Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 144 - drat

Well, the fever did return, right at 8 pm, I hit 100.6 and went to CMC's ED. They did the workup, gave me ceftaz and sent me in an ambulance up to Lebanon. Up here, I have been doing well, with excursions to 103 (as always, I believe if you are going to do something, you should do it well). My hemoglobin was back down in the low 6's--I am not sure where I am losing it, but am getting a transfusion now. I got a fever during the first transfusion so we had to stop after only about 80 cc's. I have spent most of the day asleep, but have been able to have coherent conversations and had several of my usual Lebanon visitors and have been with it enough to enjoy talking with them. This neutropenic fever admission is so much nicer than the last one! I am nowhere near as sick and am very grateful.

Just like the last admission, however, I did get positive blood cultures within twelve hours. Last time it was gram positive. This time it's gram negative rods which come from the GI tract typically--not sure exactly where they came from, but the ceftaz is quite successful at encouraging them to go away.

That's about it for today's post. I wanted you to know I'm back in Lebanon, but much better than last time. I suspect I'll be here through the weekend, although a gal can hope.

I am hoping for a quick end to my fevers and a return to my nice home life for me. For you, I hope your obstacles stand aside and you can get done what you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment