Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 166 - no news about anything

I have a really really nice winter coat that we bought sixteen years ago when we moved from California to Minnesota and I was scared about the winters. It is the warmest winter coat we could find anywhere and it is really warm. It goes to the mid thigh and it has a waterproof covering (like you don't get wet in the rain) and a hood and is super thick. It also weighs about ten pounds. All this weight never really bothered me before, but this year, it does.  I don't know if it's because I'm a weakling and it's a lot to schlep around or if it's because Ellie has a gorgeous light "down sweater" kind of jacket, but I have decided I need a lighter, but still super warm winter jacket. Today was mostly spent at various outdoor stores trying on jackets and coats of all varieties. I also called the Patagonia 800 number to find out which of their jackets is their very warmest. It turned out to be a good thing I called because their warmest is not in their catalog nor is it in any store closer than Boston. I am currently favoring that one. We'll see. I have bought a pair of pants and a skirt since my diagnosis five months ago and I don't think any other clothes at all so I guess it's not unreasonable to buy a really really nice coat.

A lot of today was spent chasing around after the ideal winter coat, but I found time to do the NYT crossword puzzle which I kind of liked today and to go to Planet Fitness. I was able not just to almost hit my goal heart rate today, but to stay there a brief while. I am still telling the machine that I am 70 years old so it gives me a goal heart rate that I can tolerate getting to, but I feel like I've made a little progress. Additionally, I did some weaving and some assistance with homework. There were almost tears. The whole beginning algebra thing is very frustrating it turns out.

In other news, there is no other news today. I am wishing for a robust and permanent recovery for myself. For you, a healthy tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment